We love public services
We love public services. Trains, water, energy, care work, council services, the NHS. We believe they make life better for you, me and everyone. They are super useful and really important, for our children, parents and grandparents, our friends, our colleagues and our communities. We all use public services every day.
But they can’t run properly when they’re privatised. Whenever your services are privatised - whether we're talking buses or prisons or the Royal Mail - the same things tend to happen. You pay more, you get a worse service and you don’t have a say.
We believe public services should be run for people not profit. The corporations and politicians are selling us a tired old tune on privatisation. It’s time to change the record.
Do you love public services too? Join us.
What do we do?
We campaign for public services to be in public hands. We want the public, the media and politicians to understand that
- Privatisation has failed
- Public ownership is awesome
- Public services belong to us and we should have a say
How do we do it?
There’s a huge gap between the evidence about privatisation and the ideology driving it - we expose that gap. We share academic work, reports and case studies about privatisation and public ownership. Everyone needs to know about this evidence so we make sure we communicate as clearly and creatively as possible.
There’s a huge gap between what politicians do and what the public want - we highlight that gap. We ask the public what they think about privatisation and public ownership and we shout about the results. Check out our polling.
We believe everyone should have a real say over public services. We're asking councils to think twice about outsourcing with the Our Services Our Say campaign. We're calling on George Osborne to stop selling off public assets with our National Treasures campaign.
We love public services and we want to see them get better and better. We explore what public ownership might look like in the future.
We are a small organisation and public services are big so we work with others on all of this.
What have we achieved so far?
Since launching in 2013 we've
- Put out our message in the media, appearing on Radio 4 and Sky News and in the Mirror, the FT, the Guardian and the Independent
- Asked the public what they think in new and original polling about outsourcing and privatisation
- Highlighted the gap between public opinion and party policies with our 'Privatisation: People vs Politicians' scorecard
- Got the support of over 100 MPs for the idea of a Public Service Users Bill in Early Day Motion 438
- Published a report showing how awesome public ownership is 'Better in public hands'